From: Doug Schepers [mailto:schepers@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 5:16 PM
To: SVG
Subject: SVG 2 is a Candidate Recommendation!

Hi, folks–

As you may have heard, SVG 2 was published as a Candidate Recommendation
(CR) specification [1][2] yesterday.

This means that the SVG WG believes the spec is feature-complete and stable. It's the equivalent of a "Last Call", and signals our intent to concentrate on completing our test suite and implementation report, in order to progress to Proposed Recommendation and then to Recommendation (a W3C standard).

We have a list of new features in SVG 2 [3]. If there is sufficient interest, we may expand this list into explanations and examples in our SVG Authoring Guide [4], and we are happy to assist others in writing articles for developers to promote best practice. If you're interested, contact me off-list.

We welcome comments and feedback on the SVG 2 spec on this list [5], or as Github issues [6]. Please note that substantive issues, especially feature requests, may be deferred to a future version of the spec, so we can complete SVG 2 in a timely way.

We encourage implementations in authoring tools and browsers and browsers, and welcome feedback from implementation experience.

We also welcome help in creating tests, and in filing bug reports with browsers and other software to improve interoperability and support for SVG 2. If you're interested in helping finalize SVG 2 in this way, contact me offlist.

SVG 2 is a significant step forward for SVG. This is a significant rewriting and reorganization of the SVG spec, and while we have many more changes planned for future versions of the spec, we decided to complete SVG 2 and defer other changes, so that developers and designers could take advantage of the improvements and new features as early as possible. We chose the final version based on need, on readiness, and on the likelihood of prompt implementation in users agents (like browsers and authoring tools).

If your favorite feature request did not make it into SVG 2, please let us know, and we will try to make sure it can be included in SVG 3. SVG 2 has helped us lay the foundation for publishing a new SVG specification every year or two, and we hope to make faster progress in the future.

Thank you to everyone who uses SVG, who's provided feedback, and especially to the hard work of the SVG WG in making SVG 2 possible.

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/CR-SVG2-20160915/
[3] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/wiki/SVG-2-new-features
[4] http://w3c.github.io/svgwg/specs/svg-authoring/#new-features-in-svg-2