Re: Text issues for Sydney F2F

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 12:14 +0100, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> On 29 January 2016 at 09:46, Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 17:14 -0500, David Dailey wrote:

That has been our goal.

> To 3.1:
> I favor Chrome's behavior ignoring any line grid. This allows to use
> the available space optimally. If predictability of where the first
> line is placed is wished (e.g. to allow aligning text inside a shape
> vertically with one outside of it), I suggest to introduce a CSS
> property to control that.

It might also be useful to not have the line shift down as characters
are added (like in typing).

> In any case, the behavior must be specified to avoid having different
> results in different UAs.

Agreed.

> To 3.2:
> I'm in favor of solution 2 with the constraint that it should be
> controllable whether to clip the text, show an ellipse or display it
> outside the shape. Though solution 3 proposed by CSS Shapes 2 sounds
> bad to me (at least if that was the default), as the text outside the
> shape may overlap other contents.
> Note that CSS Shapes 2 doesn't currently define where the overflowing
> text is placed exactly. This may not necessarily be below the
> rectangular bounds but could also be above or besides the element.

I agree that the author needs control and placing it underneath is not
a good default option.

> To 3.3:
> 'wrap-flow' should get a new value specifying that the text can be
> split into parts in those cases.

Sounds reasonable.

> To 3.4:
> Yes, CSS Regions seems to be the right place, maybe in combination
> with CSS Shapes. Though to work in SVG it looks like CSS Regions
> needs
> some work in regard of how named flows are created.

That was my conclusion. I couldn't see how to mock up a test case.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tav