Re: SVG Parameters

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2015, at 4:18 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Heya everyone, I've been threatening to merge Doug's old SVG
>> Parameters spec with CSS Variables for some time.  I just now got
>> around to it:
>>
>> https://tabatkins.github.io/specs/svg-params/
>
> It is a great document. To the issue with presentation attributes: There is
> no reason why it would not apply. Presentation attributes are style
> definitions within a different hierarchy in the cascade. We even use CSS3
> Syntax for those attributes.

Cool, I couldn't recall off the top of my head whether presentation
attributes used CSS syntax or just mapped to them.  I'll remove the
issue and clarify that they can be used in presentation attributes,
too.

> SVG params were about setting SVG attributes (not only presentation
> attributes) too. This is not described in the document and it feels like a
> decreased functionality (but not necessarily bad initially).

Right, the processing model becomes way more complicated if you start
interacting with the DOM; there's no notion of "computed value", etc.
to rely on.  I'm happy to pursue that later, but for now, I think most
customization cases are just wanting to control color and such, which
work with the current model.

> SVG params would require an implementation of custom properties which not
> all major browsers have yet. However, I don’t think that this is a blocker
> of any kind.

Yeah, this clearly has a normative dependency on CSS Variables.

> I support an ED of the document and would suggest adding it to the agenda of
> the FXTF.

Thanks!

~TJ