Re: Can we please revert the removal of viewTarget attribute?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 22:15:35 +0100, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
<amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would, at the very least, want to re-instate viewTarget for semantic
> and
> accessibility purposes.  I would also ask that we follow up on the matter
> of :target and viewTarget, which could have been a very useful added
> functionality if it had ever been clearly defined.

I don't think I have a full understanding of exactly how 'viewTarget' is
important for a11y. Could you elaborate?

One can add an 'id' on the <view> element with the same value as
'viewTarget', and reference that id. What does 'viewTarget' add besides
another way to do the same thing?

Example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 100 100">
     <circle id="c" r="50"/>
     <view id="center" viewBox="-50 -50 100 100"/>
</svg>

Now, we can reference that view like example.svg#center, and the UA will
use that view.

Cheers
/ed