Re: Detailed proposal for layered fill and stroke

Thanks for the feedback Dirk,

I realize that there was a desire to use the same syntax as CSS
backgrounds, but there wasn't any detailed explanation of how it would
actually work.  It does not seem practical to insist on a common syntax
given the existing differences that must be supported.

The *-paint properties are analogous to background-image and the *-color
properties are analagous to background-color.  However, they are not
exactly equivalent, because of the following underlying differences:

-  We need to support the current behavior, where a color can be specified
as a fallback but not drawn.
-  We need to support the current behavior, where a reference object
bounding box sets the scale of the content but does not define a clipped
region or repeating tile.
-  Particularly for strokes of different widths, it is preferable to allow
multiple solid color layers without needing hacks such as single color
gradients or extra markup to create a solidColor paint server element.
-  It would be very useful to create paint server elements that can be
customized by passing a color property at the time they are used.

The idea of the *-index properties came from the need to control the
layering of three different stacks of paint content (fill, strokes, and
markers) rather than a single stack for background images.

If there is a strong desire to add back in the other background properties
(e.g., *-position, *-origin, *-clip, *-repeat, *-attachment, *-size), I'd
be happy to hear those arguments.  However, I really think they confuse
things with unnecessary complexity more than they simplify things with
similarity to the background shorthand.

I'm not sure why there would be a need for CSS WG review first, since these
would be SVG-specific properties.  However, I would be happy to have
additional feedback if you want to suggest that group members take a look
at the proposal.  I definitely want to discuss the *-box properties with
those active on the FX specs that use SVG graphical effects elements with
objectBoundingBox vs userSpaceOnUse units.

Best,
Amelia