Re: Deferring SVG DOM to a separate module

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:24:11 -0600
To: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Thanks for the input, Brian.  You certainly know more about the details
than I do.  I hadn't realized that getComputedStyle would include the
effects of active animations.

Maybe others can chime in about the performance concerns they had about
animVal?

I certainly wouldn't want to see useful functionality neutered if there
isn't a significant performance justification.  If it could be replaced
with a getter function that essentially queries getComputedStyle for that
property, would that be enough?  It would still probably not be very
performant if you accessed it repeatedly, but I don't think that's likely
-- the real use case is when you have to pause/interrupt an animation and
you need to use the current state as the basis for subsequent settings.

Best,
Amelia