Re: SVG animations without SMIL

Dirk,

The SVG path syntax is pretty difficult to use (IIRC it was designed before
gzip which is why it uses one-character commands) so I understand wanting
to improve that for the long-term. It looks like there has been quite a bit
of discussion already about new path specs.

For consistency with the other geometry attributes, I don't see many costs
to promoting 'd' as a simple string presentation attribute. The proposal
would be to have it work just like animating 'd' works today: string ->
string where the interpolation is done on the parsed representation. I
wasn't able to find arguments against this in the archives. Do you have a
link to previous discussions of this?

Offline, Dirk pointed out that x, y, width, and height have already been
promoted and the spec just hasn't been updated yet.