Re: [Paths] Catmull-Rom and other new path commands

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 07:44:39 +0000
To: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
CC: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 2:28 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
>
> I'm slightly concerned about adding new path commands, such as Catmull-Rom. I have nothing against the command itself, but I don't like that there is no nice fallback mechanism.
>
> How am I supposed to author content that works in an engine that supports this feature, but also works in an engine that doesn't?
>
> Maybe all new commands should be in a d2 attribute? Yuck. If you use the style approach, at least you could have multiple "d" properties.
>
> Of course, as soon as you're providing fallback, it makes the argument for providing the new feature less compelling.

An alternate proposal is to support a d CSS property and have different path syntaxes separated by functions. Exactly like the clip-path property does today with basic shapes:

d: “oldPathSyntaxString"
d: path(“oldPathSyntaxString")
d: catmull-rom(catmull-romSyntax)
d: polygon(setOfCoordinates)
d: ….

I agree with your general concern and brought up the same issues before. For this and other reasons we develop the new path syntax in a new module to not block SVG2.

> Dean
>
> PS. And if we're going to break the syntax, why didn't we add an arc command that mortals can understand? :)

We discussed to align with Canvas Path API and add new segments but we simply run out of meaningful letters ;)

Greetings,
Dirk