Re: [css-writing-modes] 'writing-mode' and deprecated SVG values

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:50:05 +0900
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Koji Ishii:
> > I'm good with the proposal. Gecko and Trident already handle them as
> value
> > aliases. I'm still under planning of how to unprefix writing-mode in
> Blink,
> > but I think what Gecko did is the only reasonable choice.
>
> FYI, Gecko does not support the old keyword values in our new Writing
> Modes implementation.

Thank you for the info, I misunderstood when we discussed about inheriting
writing-mode from HTML to SVG.

I wrote a simple test how Gecko handles this[1] and figured out that I was
wrong:

1. Gecko supports "vertical-rl" both in HTML and SVG and inherits
2. Gecko no longer supports "tb*" in either HTML nor SVG

It was a bit of surprising to me that Gecko does not recognize "tb" in SVG.
Is this intentional? I can't find "vertical-rl" in SVG 1.1 nor 2.0. Is it
in 3.0 draft?

[1] http://jsbin.com/diluka/edit?html,output

/koji