Re: [css-writing-modes] 'writing-mode' and deprecated SVG values

On 08/26/2015 10:18 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

>> On Aug 26, 2015, at 3:52 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be very easy for a UA to add a ua.css mapping of
>>   svg|*[writing-mode=tb] { writing-mode: vertical-rl; }
>> to support such content, now and into the future. And I'm happy to add
>> a note to Writing Modes clarifying that although these values are
>> deprecated in general, content that uses the presentation attributes
>> should continue to use the old forms as long as there are UAs out there
>> that need them.
>
> All browsers I know have a SVG specific UA style rule with @namespace "http://www.w3.org/2000/svg”; So it could be generalized to elements in this namespace.

Yes, that's what I wrote. I just didn't include the @namespace rule that
bound the svg| prefix...

>> The spec does not require any sort of context-dependent parsing. It says
>> "These values are deprecated in any context except SVG1 documents." which
>> means "Don't use them anywhere except SVG1 documents." Deprecated features
>> must still be supported.
>
> The last sentence would rule out the usage of the deprecated values in
> inline SVG (SVG content in a HTML document). Or do I misinterpret it?

Deprecation means "this is considered not good practice, better to use
alternatives". It doesn't mean you can't use it. Would you prefer that
we recommended instead that SVG used the old values while CSS used the
new values? I don't understand what you want here.

~fantasai