Re: [css-variables] using CSS Variables as a mechanism for parameterised content

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Note that this works well for <color>/<image> values, as changing them
> would not require the document to be reflowed.  If we want to support
> parameterisation of other property types using a mechanism other than CSS
> Variables, I'm not sure whether we could make any improvement.

I think this makes some sense for paint-server values. We already have a
level of indirection there with, for example, 'object-fill' and
'object-stroke', and extending that with a richer vocabulary would not be
hard. I don't think it makes sense for other values though since you could
easily end up adding complexity everywhere in the engine those values are
used.

I wonder if it would be better to fix this in CSS Variables, so that people
can define variable values that can be changed without triggering a full
restyle.

Rob
owohooo
oioso