RE: Using textLength with tspan children - browsers vary in how they render things.

I've updated the jsfiddle with screen grabs of what Firefox vs Internet Explorer do, so its more clear to those that don't have the more recent browsers on their systems

http://jsfiddle.net/pUavF/5/

From: Smailus, Thomas O
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 10:22
To: David Dailey; www-svg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Using textLength with tspan children - browsers vary in how they render things.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case.

Reading over the SVG 1.1 SE spec it does seem that Microsoft Internet Explorer is not handling it correctly:

For TEXT, the spec  is clear:
The author's computation of the total sum of all of the advance values that correspond to character data within this element, including the advance value on the glyph (horizontal or vertical), the effect of properties 'kerning', 'letter-spacing' and 'word-spacing' and adjustments due to attributes 'dx' and 'dy' on 'tspan' elements.

For TSPAN, the spec addresses what would happen if a tspan and its ancestor (a text in my example) have textLenght specified:
If attribute 'textLength' is specified on a given element and also specified on an ancestor, the adjustments on all character data within this element are controlled by the value of 'textLength' on this element exclusively, with the possible side-effect that the adjustment ratio for the contents of this element might be different than the adjustment ratio used for other content that shares the same ancestor. The user agent must assume that the total advance values for the other content within that ancestor is the difference between the advance value on that ancestor and the advance value for this element.

Now for  TEXT the spec doesn specifically mention descendant elements, only the dx,dy attributes of tspans, but I would have thought the intent would be clear.

Rossen or Bogdan, whats the best way to submit this as a bug report to the Internet Explorer team?

Thomas
--
Thomas Smailus, Ph.D.  P.E.
Boeing Information Technology