Re: Media queries in <switch> elements

I would like to get a clarification to the sentence "All others will be
bypassed and therefore not rendered." in the switch element.

What does "will be bypassed" mean?

This question was actually asked already years ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Jul/0042.html - without a
proper answer.

I tested the bypassed elements on browsers:

 - the bypassed elements seem to be in the DOM tree
 - CSS selectors seem to always match them (e.g., the :first-child selector)
 - content (image href) seems to always be loaded
 - animations are run
 - scripts are run
 - events (onmouseover, what about others?) are not fired (because the
element is not rendered?)
 - a use element referencing a "not-rendered" element seems not to render it
 - bounding boxes are inconsistent between browser
 - bounding boxes do not contribute to the parent bounding box

Looks like only the rendering is affected. There isn't really any
"bypassing". Is that true?

Cheers,
Kari