Re: SVG fonts discussion

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Having to stuff the binary data into a base64-encoded data url is
> hacky. Not your fault, but it is.

FWIW, my code doesn't do that. It builds the font as a sequence of JS typed
arrays and then makes a Blob out of the concatenation of them, and then
createObjectURL can create a short URI referring to the Blob. No base64
encoding or data: URIs are involved. The Web platform is a lot better at
manipulating binary data than it used to be.
https://github.com/rocallahan/svg-opentype-workshop/blob/master/SfntTables.js#L172

>     Tav: I tried to do this with inkscape, but I ran into trouble
> >     since we use Pango for text layout, which doesn't let you
> >     insert a user font
> >     ... I was going to intercept the layout information from Pango,
> >     and just draw the SVG glyph
> >
> >     ChrisL: I should say, Behdad Esfabod has been at these meetings
> >     and is aware of this
> >     ... and is interested in adding this to Harfbuzz
>
> Behdad mentioned specifically that the assumption is the rendering is
> static. There is currently no facility to indicate a glyph rendering
> is animated, and to tell an application when the glyph updates or to
> give it a callback or other hook.
>
> Maybe he was referring to Pango?

I don't know. An important feature of the SVG-in-Opentype design is that
glyph shaping and metrics are not affected by animation, so the Harfbuzz
end of things is not affected by animation.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w