Re: SVG 2 high value use cases based on StackOverflow questions

What I neglected to mention in my first email was that I was aware that
some of these were being discussed and addressed  My motivation was to
enumerate all the common use cases I could think of, that appear regularly
in StackOverflow.  (a) so that people have info on what use cases are
common, and (b) so we don't have a situation after SVG2 is released where
people say "hey everyone knew this was an issue, why wasn't it addressed?".

If I had thought about this a year ago, I would have kept some metrics.
Rather than relying on memory :)

> On the positive side (in the shorter term), you can find some really nice
articles written recently on this topic

Just to be clear, I, myself, am familiar with how viewBox works.  I've
explained it enough times on SO. :)  And I knew about "auto".  That's why I
mentioned it.  I hope it makes it into the spec.

> If all the baseline properties in SVG 1.1 were supported, would that be
enough to address these use-cases? If so, what browsers have bugs blocking
the use of this? If there are bugs, is the spec clear enough?

None of the baseline properties cover the case of exact vertical centering
of a glyph at a given point  Using alignment-baseline="middle" kind-of
works for a line of text if you have a mix of ascenders and descenders.
But doesn't really work for single characters.

Example question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26600027/center-a-character-in-svg/

Another recent poster (I can't find the link right now) was dynamically
generating a line graph where each point was labelled with a number inside
a circle.  alignment-baseline doesn't work in this case because the digits
will be positioned too high in the circle (because they don't have
descenders).  You can reposition by a few pixels or by "0.3em" etc, but the
whole shebang is font dependent.  And it breaks again if the specified font
is not present.

And you can't fix it with JS either because getBBox() doesn't return the
tight bbox, and there is no access to font metrics.

There is one ugly workaround, which is to embed the character using
<foreignObject> and use vertical-align="middle".  But that is horrible, and
now you have to teach people how to use foreignObject. :)

> Does https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#VectorEffects address the
non-scaling part sufficiently in your opinion?

Quite possibly.  I haven't yet looked closely enough at it to be sure.

What I think I might do now is start gathering responsive SVG questions
from SO, so we have a corpus of use cases.  And see how many can be
achieved with what is in SVG2 already.

Paul