Re: Proposal: <star> element

Dirk Schulze:
> On Apr 29, 2014, at 11:27 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
wrote:
> > .. to continue this chain of arguments, irregular star like shapes are
> > pretty common as well, but not covered by Paul LeBeaus proposal.
> > Maybe people belonging to nations with regular stars in their flags
> > (and with a stronger relationship to those kinds of symbols)
> > are more focussed on these regular shapes, if they talk about 'star', but
> > others will be surprised, that the proposal does not cover some other
> > kinds of popular stars.
>
> Thankfully this represents at least 850 million people (EU, US and
> Australia alone).
China as well ...

> Please avoid any kind of judgement of people on this list.
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk

I cannot see any jugdement here, there is just a relation between
logos and shapes people are familiar with and their nation and culture.
If you have an association of judgement to these shapes or their use,
this is bad (unfortunately logos and symbols are often abused to
discriminate people, this should be avoided)  -
I prefer tolerance, there is nothing bad in preferring regular or irregular
stars, both is ok, this is the core idea of this statement ;o)

However, important for the discussion of this feature is, that different
people have quite different associations with 'star' as a shape, therefore
I think, concerning judgement and discrimination, it could be problematic
or at least annoying for people, if the definition of such an element
excludes typical shapes, they typically would call a 'star'.

Please avoid any kind of unassigned  accusation of people on this list.

Olaf