RE: Rendering text on paths - suggestions

On 2013-02-25 honyk wrote:
> general case?
> > >
> > > Hmm, it is true it is nonsense in general case where no 'path' is
> > > defined outside the path.
> > >
> > > But I realized there could be a simple rule - to overflow whenever
> > the
> > > path is closed (= the continuation of the path is ensured).
> >
> > That sounds somewhat reasonable. What if there are multiple subpaths?
> > Overflow to the first subpath in the path? What if that first subpath
> > isn't closed?
> >
> > Sounds like something for a new property, or perhaps we could reuse
> the
> > 'text-overflow' property for this? In that case what you're asking
> for
> > would require a new value 'wrap' for the 'text-overflow' property.
>
> Hmm, subpaths...
>
> The simplest solution would be enabling this feature just for simple
> paths.
>
> Or... The text anchor is finally attached to some point on the path. It
> is either simple path or one of subpaths. The rule could be generalized
> that this 'path item' must be closed.

I'd like to move this forward.

Now, when any text is rendered on the given path, there are some boundaries on that path where characters can be placed. It works even for compound paths, see e.g. this: http://drifted.in/other/fillrule-evenodd.svg

The text outside this boundary is clipped. My idea is to, optionally, enable rendering of these clipped parts on the opposite side of the path, starting at that opposite boundary. In the example above the (laz)'y dog' phrase would continue and cover the '>The quick brown' phrase.

While this behaviour looks weird, it can be very handy in some cases.

See e.g. this: http://drifted.in/other/text_path.svg

This quite natural usage has to be encoded into over-complicated code and finally rotated.

Things could be much easier using that new option - I commented it in that svg file above.

I have no objections to call it 'text-overflow' as suggested above. A default value would be 'clip' and a new one either 'overflow' or 'visible'.

Thanks, Jan