Re: SVG2 and text management

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 10:06 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Ylvisaker Steven J [Contractor]
> <Steven.J.Ylvisaker@irs.gov> wrote:
> > Hello – I have been trying to catch up on the latest regarding text handling
> > in the SVG specification. Of most interest is the inclusion of text flow (as
> > implemented by Inkscape). I see statements that say the functionality is
> > definitely included and then other statements that say it is not. It looks
> > to me like the most recent publishing of the recommendation suggests it is
> > not included.
> >
> > Mostly I just need to know one way or the other so I can proceed with some
> > development of flow chart and word based fraction renderings.
>
> We are definitely including a way to add a "width" to a <text>
> element, at which point it switches over to CSS-based text rendering
> rules.
>
> ~TJ

The plan is that all of SVG 2 text be defined in terms of CSS-based text
rendering with SVG only attributes ('dx', 'rotate', etc.) applied
afterwards. It should be consistent with SVG 1.1 text rendering but
allow things like wrapped text inside an arbitrary SVG shape (with CSS
shapes level 2). I have a rough rewrite of the SVG 2 text section that
we should be discussing at this weeks SVG WG meeting. (See the link at
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Agenda , look at sections 10.1,
10.7, 10.8, and 10.10.2)

Tav