Re: Cannot change text rotation centre in SVGs

On Mar 30, 2013, at 8:08 AM, David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I know that there was also discussion that in addition to the "center" (as
> in the center of the minimum bounding rectangle with axes parallel to the
> viewport) we might also have the "centroid" (namely the first central moment
> or center of mass) as a center of rotation. For most objects that one wishes
> to rotate the latter would convey a more natural sense of physical rotation,
> and though one can clearly calculate such through script,  part of why we
> have SVG is so that not everyone has to write script that involves the
> calculus.
>
> Has there been movement on that front or is one of several things being
> postponed for SVG 3?

I do not think that this would go to SVG anymore. This proposal should go to the next level of CSS Transforms and is indeed very interesting. If I remember there were different algorithms to calculate this centroid and we did not agree on one yet.

Greetings,
Dirk