RE: Deprecating <tref>

Just out of curiosity, how else would one accomplish the things that it
allows?

For example: animating text content declaratively?

To be honest, I couldn't remember why I used tref until I searched through
the slightly aging

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/svgprimer.html

Is the low percentage you quote based on all web pages or just SVG pages?
The latter is undoubtedly a very small proportion of all web pages.

Just because people don't use an essential feature yet could be a byproduct
of the feature not being essential, or it could be that because browsers
don't support things people don't use them.

That is, just because most browsers are pretty buggy when it comes to
filters and SMIL doesn't mean that the stuff is not there for a reason.
I'm sure all these arguments are well known to the working group, but
occasionally it may be useful to remind folks of the thousands of hours of
deliberation that went into building the spec in the first place and the
other thousands of hours that have gone into teaching people how to use it.

Regards

DD