Re: minutes, Tokyo 2013 SVG F2F Day 1, 3 June 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Jasper van de Gronde <
th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> On 2013-06-03 10:32, Cameron McCormack wrote:
>
>> enable-background issues
>>
>>    RESOLUTION: Remove e-b from this level of Filters.
>>
>>    <AlexD> For the record I'm not for or against, just want to
>>    make sure we don't break existing content in the field
>>
>>    krit: Should I remove e-b silently, or have a note?
>>
>>    several: Seems useful to have a note pointing back to the old
>>    definition.
>>
> For the record, there are people using enable-background and then
> referencing the background in filters. We have actually had bug reports in
> Inkscape about it not working (in the past). (There are still some issues
> with the implementation in Inkscape, I think, but the basic functionality
> should work.)

That's why we decided to move it to a note instead of tweaking its current
definition. That way, we won't break existing SVG support.
In the immediate term we want to concentrate on getting an implementation
that can be implemented across browsers and graphics libraries. Longer term
we definitely want to provide support for the non-isolated behavior that
enable-background offers.