Re: Rendering text on paths - suggestions

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:25:47 +0100, honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> in my apps I frequently render dials (text on circles). I center the text
> (text-anchor: middle) and place it to the certain point on the path.
> Here is
> the list of suggestions that would help me:
>
> 1. A new flag for not clipping the text outside the path. It is a circle
> in
> my case and centered text rendering at startOffset = 0/100% is
> problematic.
> It works only (but not always) for single letter strings. Maybe there is
> better solution, but now I render this text on an extra circle at 50% and
> rotate it by 180°.

How would you like the overflowing text to be placed in the general case?

> 2. Clarify if it is possible to use negative startOffset values or values
> over 100%. Now I have to do normalization to the proper range (0-100%) as
> some browsers do not accept anything else.

Maybe it could be made even more clear, but any length value is already
allowed in startOffset. SVG 1.1 First Edition didn't allow negative values
in startOffset[1], but SVG 1.1 Second Edition allows that[2]. Nowhere does
it say that values are restricted to the range 0-100%.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/text.html#TextPathElementStartOffsetAttribute
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#TextPathElementStartOffsetAttribute