RE: Relaxing SVGList* item object equality in Blink/Chromium

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:34:34 -0500
To: "'Tab Atkins Jr.'" <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "'Kouhei Ueno'" <kouhei@google.com>
Cc: "'Robert O'Callahan'" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "'www-svg'" <www-svg@w3.org>
On Friday, December 13, 2013 1:32 PM
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote (in response to Kouhei Ueno):

>> What do you think about list item getters? They are methods, not attributes.
>> Would your opinion be different for "list.getItem(0) !== list.getItem(0)"?

>They should return the same.  The fact that the SVG interfaces use a method rather than indexes to access elements is a silly legacy detail.  It should be treated identically to list[0], which should return the same object each time as well.

I recently did some experiments with SVG inline in HTML5 and found that list[0] seemed to work in all browsers (instead of having to use list.items(0)). I was pleasantly surprised. Can one expect that such would nowadays also work across browsers in a pure SVG document, or is this just an artifact of being nestled amidst the HTML5 DOM?

Cheers
David