Re: [css-compositing] Request to move Compositing and Blending spec to CR

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM, James Robinson <jamesr@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK, if it's not used by any operations let's remove that text from the
>>> spec (or clarify what it means).
>>>

>> The definition is still needed so the canvas' non-clip-to-self behavior
>> is defined.
>>

> Canvas is defined in HTML.  Having text here to define a behavior that
> canvas does not use is just confusing with no upside.

No, canvas refers to the compositing spec for the 'globalComposite'
operator [1]:

The globalCompositeOperation attribute sets the current composition
operator, which controls how shapes and images are drawn onto the scratch
bitmap<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#scratch-bitmap>,
once they have had
globalAlpha<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#dom-context-2d-globalalpha>
and
the current transformation matrix applied. The possible values are those
defined in the Compositing and Blending specification.
[COMPOSITE]<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/references.html#refsCOMPOSITE>

Do you think the canvas spec should be more clear that compositing is
defined in the "Compositing and Blending specification"?

As you noted, this was not the case originally and it caused confusion for

1:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#compositing