Re: id and className IDL attributes

On Apr 26, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The DOM spec defines the id and className (and classList) on Element.
>
> http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#interface-element
>
> HTML has dropped these, relying on DOM. Maybe SVG should do the same?
>
> This has come up before but the SVG spec hasn't changed (well the TR
> version, the editor's draft doesn't have the IDL), so I guess nothing has
> been concluded yet?

The definition on SVG is:

	readonly attribute SVGAnimatedString className;

As mentioned in the referenced mailing list discussion, the problem is the SVGAnimation representation. From an implementation point of view I am very much in favor for this change. At least in WebKit and in Blink this could cleanup the source code a lot.  The main difficulty is that SVGAnimations on class were not deprecated in SVG1.1SE. I am a bit scared to remove it from the specification (and replace it with the Element definition) without notice.

Greetings,
Dirk