Re: Flowing text in SVG2

Jelle wrote:

> In this case SVG2 is about to create the problem of having to revert to
> previous generation technology to do the task the standard is much better
> suited to. Yes, we can include some HTML text into our document to do
> textflow in one of those ugly rectangular shapes without any control over

If you try to flow text into something more complicated, it is almost
certainly only going to work for one font and font size, unless you have
an extensive amount of hinting.  If the author is going to tweak font
sizes, etc., to get the appearance they want, that can be done in the
authoring tool.

> kerning and layout as we've done the past 20+ years. Same for text inputs
> and the like.

Technically, kerning and layout are handled by CSS, not by HTML.

> I don quite get the idea that SVG should be reduced to creating vector
> illustration and larded with javascript libraries to produce the
> functionality everyone in the design industry has been waiting for for so
> long.

I'm afraid that is the sort of argument that does result in standards
bloat.  As standards do bloat, it means that it may still get included.

I'd actually suggest that one of the big attractions of SVG is that text
is not fluid, as a lot of designers want the consumer to see the page
exactly as they designed it.  A lot of HTML accessibility problems are
the result of trying to treat it as a final form language, and ignoring
the consequences of re-flow.

--
David Woolley