Re: SVGMatrix in Canvas spec

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Dirk Schulze:
> > I just noticed that the Canvas2D specification references SVGMatrix.
> > canvas.currentTransform returns a SVGMatrix object[1]. I am not sure
> > if we should convince the Canvas editors to drive Deans Matrix4x4
> > proposal[2] forward instead. I would like to rely on SVGMatrix as less
> > as possible, since I still hope to get a API for CSS Transforms in the
> > next level. What do you think?
>
> When Hixie was developing that feature he asked if SVGMatrix was an
> appropriate object to use here, and I said yes that would work.  I would
> feel even better if we could actually manage some unification between it
> and CSSMatrix / Dean's proposal.  If you have an idea how to do that,
> please post it. :)

The spec (at least the WHATWG spec) is just gonna follow what browser
vendors do here. Right now it uses SVGMatrix because (as heycam says
above), that's what browser vendors wanted, but I'd be happy to change
that to whatever is more appropriate.

Note that whatever is picked, the transform has to be limited to stuff
that doesn't fiddle with the Z axis. I am no graphics expert, but it's my
understanding a 4D matrix can end up making this possible? So we'd have to
make sure we limit what the matrices can be set to...