Re: svg2: Add CSS gradient as paint server for 'fill' and 'stroke'. Fixed...

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM, SVG Working Group repository
<cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> details:   https://svgwg.org/hg/svg2/rev/dd51ba05bd19
> branches:
> changeset: 365:dd51ba05bd19
> user:      Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
> date:      Mon Sep 03 18:06:21 2012 -0700
> Add CSS gradient as paint server for 'fill' and 'stroke'. Fixed wrong references

Why is this being specific to the <gradient> type?  If you can support
CSS gradients, you can support all of CSS's <image> type (or rather,
as much of the <image> type as you support otherwise).

It would be mighty odd for someone to be able to use gradients both in
'background' and 'fill', but only use cross-fade() or image-set() in
'background'.

If the concern is that standalone viewers shouldn't have to support
all of CSS, then we need to address this generally, rather than having
silly little restrictions littered around.  The primary target here is
browsers, and they support CSS.  We can just put a clause into the
spec saying that standalone viewers without normal CSS support don't
have to support all of CSS to be in compliance.

~TJ