Re: Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Steve Schafer <steve@fenestra.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that you're trying to embed what is more properly handled
> as SVG editor functionality into the base language. My personal
> preference would be to keep the SVG representation itself as "lean and
> mean" as possible, and put all of the interactive manipulation
> expressiveness into a higher layer.

I strongly disagree.  SVG can be hand-authored just fine, but some
features are impossible to use in practice, seemingly because they
were designed with the same mindset you're espousing.  If a format
can't be hand-authored, it can't be reasonably hand-editted or
hand-debugged either.

As well, as Doug points out, this pulls SVG more in line with the
model that authors are familiar with from HTML/CSS, where drawn boxes
can be nested inside of each other.  Beyond this basic correspondence,
I think it's just plain easier to use - I can't tell you how many
times I've started some portion of a drawing with a <rect> using x and
y to position it, only to be forced to set it to x=0 y=0 and move the
positioning into a <g transform> so that I can link its position with
other elements.  With this change, I'd be able to keep my original
code and use the (imo more natural) x and y attributes to position
things more often.

~TJ