Re: Label Point of Polygons

Hi, Tab, David-

On 11/18/12 11:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM, David Dailey wrote:
>
>> Yes there are a zillion ways of talking about centers of sets
>> (consider all the ways that graph theory does it), but the centroid
>> holds a special place in the hearts of physics and the mind. Why
>> not just do it?
>
> As Doug said in his second paragraph, the centroid can sometimes lie
> outside the element.  That's not what we want.

There's nothing to prevent us from exposing both the centroid and the
"label point" (or whatever we call it). Each has use cases.

If I were only going to do one in the browser, it would be the label
point, which is both harder to calculate (especially in script) and more
useful (IMO). But it would be so easy to expose the centroid that I
don't see much reason not to.

Regards-
-Doug