Re: solidColor

* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Well, http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CSS-potential#id05684046681 this is not
>> exactly a new idea, but the CSS Working Group is not really quick, and
>> neither are browser developers, to pick up such features, and SVG imple-
>> mentations do not appear to be on the upgrade fast track either. Given
>> that the Working Group seems to plan for SVG 2 being (feature-) complete
>> in half a year from now, that does not seem to be a notable issue at the
>> moment.
>
>Cameron is talking about http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-variables/ ,
>which is accepted by the WG and which has a first implementation in
>WebKit now.

Yes, and if everything that has a draft and an implementation in Webkit
had a test suite and a Recommendation and would work in all the latest
relevant implementations as you would expect from Recommendation and the
test suite, we would be a lot better off. Note in particular that Webkit
had an implementation of a CSS Variables proposal four years ago already
and, as I recall it, dropped it due to lack of interest. If solidColor
is working good currently, and if the SVG WG indeed plans to complete
SVG 2.0 in half a year from now, CSS Variables do not really affect what
should become of solidColor in SVG 2.0.