Re: computed values of properties

On Saturday 2012-05-19 15:02 +1000, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> One thing that the SVG 1.1 spec is missing is a definition of how
> the computed values of properties are determined.  For example I
> notice just now that stroke-width in Gecko will compute an em length
> down to a px value and keep percentage values as specified, while in
> WebKit and Opera both values are kept as specified.  As I go about
> reformatting our property definitions to match CSS specs, I will put
> something hopefully reasonable in for the "Computed value" lines,
> which I would then appreciate review of.

One thing to beware of is that the getComputedStyle() method
actually returns used values, which are a significantly different
concept from computed values in many cases.

The computed value line in CSS specs describes what information is
preserved vs what information is computed to other results prior to:
 * inheritance
 * comparison of computed values (e.g., for starting transitions)
It doesn't describe a serialization syntax.  (The "Canonical order"
line being introduced in new modules does.)

-David