Re: moving from xml:space="" to white-space

Isn't there a fundamental difference between XML "xml:space" attribute and
CSS "white-space" property: the former instructs DOM implementation to
preserve or not white space characters in the "Content Tree" while the
later suggests rendering engine to create or not boxes for white space
characters in the "Render Tree" (in browser terms)?

Given the two mechanisms serve unrelated purposes, neither can be
deprecated, removed or merged.

Regards,
Sergey/