Re: SVG Requirements - PRNG and Font shaping

> Charles Pritchard:
>> But as for the current issue, Mozilla has raised objections with the SVG
>> Fonts chapter, pending resolution:
>> "the main issue is complex shaping"
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2011Nov/0040.html
>
> Yeah, that's one of the biggest issues with SVG Fonts.  Really the
> only viable options are either to duplicate all of OpenType's shaping
> tables in markup and include them in an SVG Font definition, or
> utilise the existing OpenType format (and implementations) and add SVG
> glyphs to it.

Has anyone raised an objection to duplicating OpenType's shaping tables?

Utilizing OpenType / WOFF is a different subject. It involves binary
data and CSS references.
SVG Fonts are live in the DOM and authored in XML.

>> I'd like to see the SVG inside opentype included in the SVG2
>> requirements, too.
>
> TBH although I believe we (the WG) will work on this and write up a
> proposal at some point, I don't think it's going to happen as part of
> the SVG2 work.  Already we have too much in our SVG2 requirements list
> to get done in a reasonable timeframe and we're going to have to
> prioritise the things we get done in this next version of the spec.

What is the technical limitation here? As I understand it, the proposal
is simply to embed XML fragments into the existing opentype format.
http://caniuse.com/#feat=svg-fonts

I'd imagine for browsers already supporting SVG Fonts, this is a
relatively easy proposition.
I'm eager to see priorities marked up; but that's something that I
think, ought to happen, after we close out these gaps in requirements.

After all, when it comes to implementation, vendors set their priorities
independently. For the time being, I'd like to get the requirements list
complete.

I've taken a lot of flak over my use of Canvas to handle use cases where
SVG 1.x failed me. I'm enthusiastically presenting the reasons why it
failed me, hoping that SVG2 will address them.

-Charles

-Charles