Re: SVG Requirements - PRNG and Font shaping

> Hi Charles,
>
> just addressing the first point:
>
> Charles Pritchard:
>> Mozilla has made it very clear that they will not implement SVG Fonts
>> without additional extensions.
>> They've put weight behind their veto threat in all versions of Firefox.
>>
>> They've demanded that the Fonts chapter, if supported, must have
>> additional features. Otherwise, they will only support WOFF.
>> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Input#Fonts
>
> We (Mozilla) are working towards an SVG-inside-OpenType solution.
> This will provide better internationalisation and a simpler model for
> animated, graphical fonts.  This approach seems to have some support
> within the Working Group, although nothing formal has been written up
> or resolved upon yet.

And I'm very much looking forward to it. There is an open source
solution available for decoding open type files, modifying and
re-encoding them back to binary, all from JavaScript. That solution will
help prototyping the SVG-inside-OpenType spec -- and I look forward to
doing so with WebKit in the future.

But as for the current issue, Mozilla has raised objections with the SVG
Fonts chapter, pending resolution:
"the main issue is complex shaping"
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2011Nov/0040.html

I'd like to see the SVG inside opentype included in the SVG2
requirements, too.

-Charles