Re: canvas in SVG (was: Re: SVG 2 Requirements: next phase)

At your request, I've copied this over to www-svg.  Responses, please
go to www-svg only.

What's the difference between www-svg and public-svg-wg?  Why do we
even have two public groups?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com> wrote:
> Do you have an example where it works with a 3d context?
>
> I completely agree that SVG doesn't need to solve the details here and can just follow HTML.
> I think we should be aware of potential technical issues that would make this hard to implement.

Unfortunately, I don't have an example.  Mozilla, who supports
-moz-element(), apparently hates the graphics card on my work computer
and wont' initialize a webgl context for me, so I can't test.  Chrome,
who supports -webkit-canvas(), never plumbed the webgl context through
the getCSSCanvasContext() code, so it doesn't work.

However, I just talked to one of our canvas people (James Robinson)
and he said that webgl and HW-accler 2d canvas are about the same in
terms of difficulty applying to this case, and the latter works fine
in -webkit-canvas() (which is roughly the same as -moz-element() for
this case).  So, no, it won't be a problem.

~TJ