Re: Allowing <mask>, <clipPath> etc. to target their parents

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I enjoyed looking at the replicate
samples too.

I agree that the difference between #id and url(#id) can be confusing.
If you have a proposal for this I'd like to hear it (e.g. allowing
'href' to accept url(#id) as well--although as far as I can tell,
"url(#id)" is a valid URI reference so it might be difficult. But since
we're dropping the xlink prefix we might have some wiggle room with
regard to requiring escaping on unprefixed attribute values).

Regarding the 'child' syntax, it's unfortunate we need syntax at all,
but we do for backwards compatibility. Even if we introduce new elements
that don't have backwards compatibility constraints (e.g. <alphaMask>)
then we still probably still need to use the 'child' syntax for consistency.

Thanks,

Brian Birtles