Re: Style elements in SVG content

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:17:05 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 2/9/12 11:46 AM, Stephen Chenney wrote:
>> Referencing the html style element is not helpful in answering these
>> questions, is its restriction to the document head avoids most of the
>> issues
>
> The restriction to <head> is an authoring requirement.  HTML's UA
> requirements define processing of <style> no matter where it is found.
>
> To answer your questions, for the HTML <style> element:
>
> 1)  All style elements are global.
> 2)  Stylesheets from such elements come in document order in the
>      cascade.
> 3)  The CSS cascade handles everything else.

That's how the SVG <style> element works as well I believe, though points
1 and 2 could be made more clear in the spec.

> SVG could in fact adopt these rules, as well as the "scoped" attribute
> for scoping if desired...

The WG has resolved to align svg <style> with html <style> for SVG2, see
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Input#Add_HTML5_style-element_attributes_to_SVG.27s_style_element.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group