Re: display:none and mixed SVG and HTML

On 2/2/12 7:08 AM, Alex Danilo wrote:
> The tree is the document model.
>
> Hence it is all available for reference regardless of any display="none"
> on an ancestor. Rendering is orthogonal to the document model.

Let me be more explicit, actually.  There are cases in which rendering
CSS content that's a descendant of a display:none subtree would in fact
violate the CSS spec (e.g. anything involving quotes or counters).

So CSS absolutely requires that there be no box creation for things in
display:none subtrees and that precludes rendering of any non-replaced
elements in such subtrees.

The question is how to reconcile that with SVG's completely different
rendering model and requirements.  It's not that hard to just do SVG on
its own, but problems start arising when rendering it inside CSS boxes.
  That's what Brian's mail is about.  Now can people please just think
through the actual implications of the disagreements between the two
spec instead of knee-jerking?

Thanks,
Boris