Re: animateMotion along things other than paths?

On 29/12/12 5:10 AM, David Dailey wrote:
> Just for fun, I tried using
>
> <animateMotion dur="5s" rotate="auto" repeatCount="indefinite" >
>
>      <mpath xlink:href="#E"/>
>
> </animateMotion>
>
> where #E actually refers to an ellipse rather than a path.  (Yes I am
> aware than I can make an ellipse using <path>)
>
> Of course the spec [1] requires that the referenced geometry must be a
> path, but it made me wonder if this should not be extended to simple
> <use>. (Use would actually be quite handy for the thing I am working on
> at present)

I think it would be fine to allow this -- we'll be defining more
precisely what the corresponding path for <circle>, <rect>, etc. are in
SVG 2, like they were in 1.2T.

<use> I am not sure about, as what would it mean if it were a group of
elements?  (We could define it to look at all of its descendants, but I
am not sure that is useful.)