Re: Support for brushes

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Tavmjong Bah wrote:

>> was there ever a discussion on adding support for brushes to SVG?
>
> I think we've discussed this idea under a different name: Skeleton
> frames:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Input#Skeleton_frames
>
> I personally would love this. Inkscape has a Pattern along Path "Live
> Path Effect":
>
> http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Paths-LivePathEffects-PatternAlongPath.html

Just a quick note from end-user dept. LPEs are limiting in a way that
they impose single style for the output path. That's not too bad for
the PAP effect (contrary to e.g. Interpolation). However, for real,
usable brushes you would want to read input device characteristics
such as pen pressure and velocity, and affect color, opacity etc. In
terms of SVG markup that would mean storing style for each copy of a
brush primitive.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org