Re: SVG2 - suggestion for a new path command to close a subpath smoothly

I believe that Jasper's suggestion can be rephrased as "provide a method to
reference the first point in the path symbolically". That reference is the
"flag" he talks about. We could still use Z to refer to that point, and
view a lone Z as L Z.

This does allow smooth cubic closing if you overload the "S/s" verbs to
have the obvious meaning when closing. The degenerate cases require thought
but not intractable.

Rik and Dirk are right in saying that the UA back end rendering libraries
would need to be modified to handle this new path feature efficiently.

I think this is a very useful feature to have because it is useful, it
generalizes the existing close verb, and it is orthogonal to other
features. (An orthogonal feature is one that can be applied in any
situation and is not already covered by an existing feature).

But I think the implementation hassles are significant and, regardless of
what Olaf might say, an SVG feature that nobody implements may as well not
exist. My prediction is that UAs could implement this but (a) it won't
happen soon and (b) it probably won't happen at all unless Canvas needs it
too.

Stephen.