Re: Turing completeness and syntactic elegance; was Re (2): Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

TOn Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:34:05 +0000, you wrote:

>SVG's origins tend to be more in terms of declarative languages, whereas
>Postscript is procedural.

That's certainly true, but it's perfectly feasible to embed powerful
computational functionality into a declarative framework. Declarative
constraint programming is a pretty natural fit with a language whose
principal output is visual, for example.

On the other hand, I will freely admit that most people seem to have a
very difficult time wrapping their heads around complex relationships
that are expressed declaratively rather than imperatively, so I don't
know how well it would all work, practically speaking.

On the other other hand, I do sometimes find it frustrating that SVG is
so limited computationally.

-SteVe Schafer