Re: handling XLink deprecation

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>> Why differentiate between href and src here?  Is it to distinguish
>> between things that accept url() and those that just accept a URL
>> directly?
>
> No it's for consistency with how src="" is used in HTML, for referencing
> external documents to be rendered, versus href="" for all other types of
> links.
>
> But that just made me think: what about <use>?  Is that enough of a
> "reference external thing for rendering" that it should be src=""?  It can
> use URI references, though, and not just whole documents.

There's no consistency in HTML.  <script> uses src while <link> uses
href, despite scripts and stylesheets being basically the same thing.

Just make all of SVG use the same attribute.  The only reason to ever
have more than one name is if a single element needs to specify two
urls, and that kind of thing is special enough that it's okay to
special-case it.

~TJ