Re: SVG Compositing operators backported?

Chris asked me to repost it to this list from inkscape-devel@, so here goes :)

> The comment that you love it would be good to post there too :) especially especially if your email includes the word "because".

May I try? :)

http://www.osnews.com/story/7102/Interview_with_Everaldo_and_Jimmac/page1/

"Everaldo: OK, in the beginning I used Corel Draw 9, running in Linux
and gimp, but as Corel stopped developing corel for Linux and version
9 did not have a good support for SVG, I moved to adobe illustrator,
which up to this moment proved to be the best software to draw
vetorial graphics in SVG and photoshop replaced gimp. Unfortunately
the SVG generated by illustrator is not a 100% compatible with KDE.
The problem is the transparency modes "multiply" and "hard light" are
not understood by KDE, they are very useful and needed for the
creation of light and shadow in my icons."

That was in 2004. Seven years later we are finally close to having
this bloody nuisance fixed.

However like Jasper I'm concerned about relation to feBlend. The
roadmap says Filters will become recommendation in July 2012. We've
been bitten by a change in the SVG wind in the past (flowed text) and
we are very cautious about experimenting ever since then, so it's
probably chicken-egg situation all over again.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org