RE: Minutes, June 9 2011 SVG WG telcon

With regard to the text positioning effects I've been raising, I think that
three things are important concurrently: the ability to see text in SVG as
text, so that it remains searchable and accessible, to enable considerably
more control over the shape and alignment of glyphs, and to keep it all as
vectors rather than as bitmaps.

The reasons for doing these things, I've talked about some in the past, but
basically lots and lots of text in the wild (logos, advertisements, signs,
map labels) require text to confine itself to a curvilinear region. Consider
what happens when one draws some text in Adobe Illustrator and then applies
an "arch warp effect." While still in ai format, the text remains text and
is mouse-selectable. Upon export to SVG however, the appearance is preserved
but the glyphs are converted to paths and accessibility is gone.

Suppose, for example, we had the following ability:

<text id="T" style="font-family:ariel;font-size:16">

<textShape topalign="path1" bottomalign="path2">Hello, here is some text
shaped by two bezier curves.</textPath>

< /text>

I think this would handle most of the effects allowed in either Illustrator
or Microsoft WordArt, together with a much broader array of flexibility.
Like <textPath>, text would remain text, and vector based, but with
considerable flexibility in styling, shaping and confining to geometries
such as geopolitical regions on maps.

Clearly there are hard cases, where truly complex curves (path1 and path2)
might set up nasty edge cases, but subject to certain constraints (like that
the associated line segments that identify getPointAtLength(Q) as Q
traverses path1 and path1 never intersect) I think the majority of the
common textual-graphic effects that designers use could be embraced.

In the interim, if the call that several people seconded here a few months
back for exposing glyphs shapes to javascript, then a proposal for how
something like a textShape might work could be sketched out as Cameron had
recommended. For building something like Fontographer as  a web app, or for
mobile designers to know where rendered text actually appears on the screen
so that adjustments could be made, seems quite natural.

Another small step in the right direction would be (as Israel Eisenberg
pointed out) to have some function that acts like Opera interprets
getExtentofChar in http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/tspanmeasure5.svg
(hit retype and then topjustify) . I think maybe Opera got it right and the
spec got it wrong in this case.

Currently in aligning text to a (baseline) curve in SVG, the characters are
never distorted, merely positioned and rotated. To accomplish the full
fledged dual-path approach to alignment, one will probably need to apply 3D
transforms to the glyphs, but that will be a part of SVG2, anyhow, so it is
not too far a stretch perhaps?

Regards

David