Re: Canvas in SVG, was: Re: minutes, SVG WG Seattle F2F 2011 day 1

On Saturday 2011-07-30 09:38 +1000, Alex Danilo wrote:
> I very much doubt any capable implementer would find managing
> the replay memory to be difficult or a source of leakage.

The term "memory leak" doesn't only refer to memory that the
implementation forgot to call free() on; it refers to memory that is
being used unnecessarily.  In that sense, which is the sense in
which Boris is using it, the term can be applied to languages in
which memory allocation and deallocation is managed by the language
runtime.

The key problem here is that canvases may have millions of drawing
operations, some of which overlap others.  Maintaining a data
structure that maintains all drawing operations whose effects are
still visible while discarding those that are not, at a small
constant time (not amortized) per drawing operation, is not a
trivial task, but I'd argue it's the minimum acceptable standard
given the way canvas is used.

-David

𝄢   Mozilla Corporation               http://www.mozilla.com/   𝄂