Re: textPath method="stretch"

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 15:43:56 +0200, Israel Eisenberg <owlgems@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> "align" treat glyphs like  solids, "stretch" should treat glyphs like
> rubber.

That's what I would expect too.

> Whatever "align" is doing to the glyph-midline
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/text.html#GlyphMidline>
> "stretch" should apply to *all* the glyph vertical lines.
> In spec words: "all points will be adjusted to be along the
> perpendicular vectors from the path,
> preserving vertical distance from the path."

Is it clear how to combine method=stretch and rotate? Opera currently
treats it as rotating the possibly warped glyph, but another
interpretation could be to rotate and then warp the glyph.

> Last interpretation practically maps horizontal straight lines to offset
> curves of the textPath
> hence will be referenced as "offset-mapping". In particular, base-lines
> of the glyphs are
> mapped to the textPath skeleton.
>
> The problem: three different looking implementations, all confirm to the
> spec.

Right. The proposal to clear up the requirements sounds good to me.

> Personally, I'm convinced that the meaning of the spec is offset-mapping

As an author of svg content, that is the interpretation I would prefer too.

> Cameron:
>> I like and want to have support for this effect...I’d like to see
>> someone prototype it in JavaScript...
> (To be accurate, this comment is on dual-curve-fitting, which demos
> follow later.)

I'd be interested in seeing some more tricky cases, such as a textpath
with sharp corners (showing glyphs both on the "inside" and "outside" of
the corner) or a path with a loop such that the warped glyph would
intersect itself.

Cheers
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group