Re: Add a "bbox" pointer events property?

Hi, Kevin-

Kevin Ar18 wrote (on 9/14/10 8:49 PM):
> Basically, this "pointer-events" property would trigger pointer events
> for the entire BBox area -- and could be used on graphical and
> non-graphical elements alike.

SVG Tiny introduced the 'boundingBox' value for the 'pointer-events'
property [1], and we do plan to include that in SVG2, and suggest that
it be added to CSS as well.

> This property would allow you to clearly define when an svg-in-html tag
> should trigger events.
>
> Something along the lines of:
> pointer-events="bbox" or pointer-events="contentArea" (the latter is
> more generic and could be used by CSS for CSS content area if they
> decide to adopt SVG pointer-events)
>
> where:
> for svg elements, this is the DOM getBBox() area
> for the base svg tag in html, would it be "ClientRectList" area from
> CSS?
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-cssom-view-20090804/#the-getclientrects-and-getboundingclient)
> <- note this is another integration spec uncertainty

Yes, it would have to be something like that.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/interact.html#PointerEventsProperty

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs