Re: normalizedPathSegList in SVGPathElement

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:38:06 +0200, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi www-svg,
>
> I am working on an implementation for normalizedPathSegList for WebKit.
> I think normalizedPathSegList is much more useful, if all
> implementations create the same normalizedPathSegList, because
> pathSegList and normalizedPathSegList need to be synchronized.

Agreed, it would be nice if we could align on a particular normalization.
As you note, for arcs in particular the normalization isn't defined.

> Can the specification provide a more detailed algorithm how to
> flatten/normalize a path, and how to synchronize both types of segment
> lists?

There are path normalization requirements[1] in SVG Tiny 1.2, which is
what Opera tries to follow (note that svgtiny doesn't allow arc segments
in paths).

Synchronization between the lists, that's something that might be nice to
define too. Batik and Opera are the only implementations I know of that
implement the SVG 1.1 path DOM interfaces at the moment, and there are
some minor differences IIRC.

Cheers
/Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/svgudom.html#Attribute_Normalization